Data Attribute is any general characteristic or property that can be associated with a specific collection of data. Explicitly defined data attributes provide context that guides on the further use of data and can be considered as a type of Metadata.
- Precision (Numerical Accuracy)
- Data Type (Integer, Floating Point etc)
- Scaling (Orders of Magnitude)
- Unit (Measurement Unit: Currency, Kg etc)
- Temporality. The temporal nature of the data (refering to historical, current or future states)
- Variability. The static or dynamic (changing nature of data)
- Duration. Temporal validity and/or association with a Time Point or Time Period etc
- Statistical Type. The nature of a dataset from a distributional perspective as defined by its range (Numerical Variable, Categorical Variable)
- Provenance (Ownership, As-Of Date)
- Confidentiality. The ability to disclose given data to various parties.
- Importance. The relevance of a datum in a given context. Helps determine the impact of Missing Data
- Concept / Meaning (E.g. In the context of a business domain, semantic ontology)
- References (Links to authoritative sources)
- Relationships (Links to other data points)