Baseline Technology Candidates
Baseline Technology Candidates are alternative technologies or practices, within a specified geographic area and temporal range, that could provide the same product or service as a project activity. 
For each project activity, the project developer shall develop a complete list of baseline candidates that will be used in the baseline procedures to represent possible alternatives to the project activity. The following steps are required:
- Define the product or service provided by the project activity.
- Identify possible types of baseline candidates. Possible baseline candidates can be identified by thinking broadly about the different alternatives that have a comparable product or service to the project activity.
- Define and justify the geographic area and the temporal range used to identify baseline candidates.
- Define and justify any other criteria used to identify baseline candidates.
- Identify a final list of baseline candidates.
- Identify baseline candidates that are representative of common practice (for the project-specific baseline procedure).
- The GHG Protocol for Project Accounting, 2005