Discussion paper - Designing a prudential treatment for crypto-assets.
The Committee is publishing this discussion paper to seek the views of stakeholders on a range of issues related to the prudential regulatory treatment of crypto-assets, including:
- the features and risk characteristics of crypto-assets that should inform the design of a prudential treatment for banks' crypto-asset exposures
- general principles and considerations to guide the design of a prudential treatment of banks' exposures to crypto-assets, including an illustrative example of potential capital and liquidity requirements for exposures to high-risk crypto-assets
The Committee welcomes comments on the analyses and ideas set out in this paper from all stakeholders, including academics, banks, central banks, finance ministries, market participants, payment system operators and providers, supervisory authorities, technology companies and the general public.
Comments on any element of this discussion paper should be submittedhereby 13 March 2020.All comments may be published on the BIS website unless a respondent specifically requests confidential treatment.
- Publication Date: December 2019
- Publication Type: Consultative
- Publication Status: Closed
- Publication Category: Fintech
- Number of Pages: 18
- Keywords: Fintech
For definitive information on regulatory matters always consult primary sources, especially where it concerns legally binding rules and regulations.
The above regulatory document abstract is quoted verbatim in this Open Risk Manual entry and provided free of charge for the convenience of all internet users. There is no explicit or implicit endorsement of this web service by the Bank of International Settlements. The copyright of the included material rests with the original authors (Links to the original texts are duly provided).