Core Principles for Effective Deposit Insurance Systems - consultative document.
The financial crisis has illustrated the importance of effective deposit insurance to help maintain public confidence. This joint Basel Committee/IADI paper provides the core principles for effective deposit insurance systems. The core principles address a range of issues including:
- deposit insurance coverage;
- prompt reimbursement;
- public awareness;
- resolution of failed institutions; and
- cooperation with other safety net participants including central banks and supervisors.
The final version of this paper has been released in June 2009.
- Publication Date: March 2009
- Publication Type: Consultative
- Publication Status: Closed
- Publication Category: Core Principles
- Number of Pages: 26
- Keywords: Bank Resolution, Depositor Compensation, Bank Deposits, Core Principles, Safety Nets
For definitive information on regulatory matters always consult primary sources, especially where it concerns legally binding rules and regulations.
The above regulatory document abstract is quoted verbatim in this Open Risk Manual entry and provided free of charge for the convenience of all internet users. There is no explicit or implicit endorsement of this web service by the Bank of International Settlements. The copyright of the included material rests with the original authors (Links to the original texts are duly provided).