Difference between revisions of "Open Source Blockchain Platforms"
(Created page with "== Open Source Blockchain Platforms == This entry catalogs major open source blockchain platforms as potential components of Open Source Finance (See wikipedia:Blockchai...")
Revision as of 13:49, 30 November 2019
Open Source Blockchain Platforms
A blockchain denotes a network based software system and protocols that enable "an open, distributed ledger that can record transactions between two parties efficiently and in a verifiable and permanent way". This design is at the core of various virtual / crypto currencies but it is considered more broadly applicable.
There are various types of blockchain networks:
By Access Type
- Public Blockchains: A public blockchain has no access restrictions.
- Private (Permissioned) blockchains: A private blockchain is permissioned. Membership is by invitation.
- A hybrid blockchain has a combination of centralized and decentralized features.
Blockchain technology can in principle be applied in multiple areas:
- The primary use of blockchains continues to be for cryptocurrencies
- Back office settlement
- In supply chain logistics and supply chain management
- As general public ledger for compiling data